Saturday, June 11, 2011

A hobby on a budget-Challenge yourself

Making changes to your home or yard is exciting and a great hobby for many people today. Everyone needs some change or something that takes away the monotony of everyday life. With money being an issue for most people in this economy hobbies or collections can be expensive and can hinder you from ever starting. This story really inspired me and by sharing it with you I hopes it inspires you to not let money hinder you from starting a hobby that you really may enjoy.

I had some friends that wanted an in ground swimming pool but did not want to pay the price. They made a hobby of challenging themselves to build an in ground swimming pool by spending for the least amount of money as possible. By doing all the work themselves which included digging the hole they were able to put in a unique in ground swimming pool for $275. This price was about 10 years ago but don't let this stop you. The pool was beautiful and everyone thought it cost them a small fortune.

This project turned a hobby into a money making venture as now they tell others how to make major changes on a budget. This inspired me to remind you that you can do anything if you are creative and determined to make it happen. Of course doing a project this way took more time and energy than hiring someone to build the pool but the challenge was to show others that you could have a swimming pool without spending a fortune.

The husband and wife including enlisting a little help from their friends dug the hole by hand. In exchange for their help they promised them a free swim anytime or by exchanging helping them on a project when they needed help. By surfing the internet for free information on how to and going to auctions and sales they were able to purchase the materials like tiles and pumps for pennies on the dollar.

I know many people whose hobbies are to collect unique items like antiques. The excitement of this hobby is in the hunt to find the objects they are collecting. I have went through many different types of collections throughout my life and by using my home to showcase the items allowed me to make changes in my surroundings.

When my taste changed I would go on a search for a new theme. I started new collections purchasing many of my pieces at stores and garage sales. By having a yard or garage sale and selling my old items I would then use this money to begin my new adventure into collecting new items for the room I wanted to change.

Unless you are really attached to any of the items this is great way to update your surroundings without spending a fortune to do. With a little paint, creativity and from a simple idea you can transform a room that showcases off your collector items and your flair for being an interior designer. You never know when a hobbies and/or collections can actually turn out to be money making ventures and wouldn't it be great to make money doing something you love.

Check out the cost of a above ground swimming pool. Could you challenge yourself to do this by spending as little as possible.

Summer Escapes Pro Series 16-Foot-by-48-Inch Frame PoolIntex Ultra Frame 18-Foot-by-52-Inch Round Pool SetIntex Sequoia Spirit 16' Round x 49" Tall Wood-Grain Pool Set

No comments: